Sunday 31 May 2015

PALLIATIVE POEMS: WILLIAMSJI TRANSLATES

CALL OF TRITON

I am not the creator of the image; it was sent to me. It speaks volumes.
------------------------------------------------------
Just another pebble on the beach
Studded in time by the waves
That froth at the ocean’s edge
A feather light caress on the cheek
Etching crevices on a visage
That asks questions
To a roaring ocean
Tales of days gone by
Of nights when the sun
Brought the rains upon the waves
Reality embedded in the shells of the ocean
Of mermaids howling to the moon
Prising sanity from the conches
Fortune cookies in a parlour
Lit by life’s mirrors
Some shining
Some broken
Some pieced together
With the glue from cobwebs
All carrying stories
None in secret, but all brutal
An honesty that made life hide its face
From me
I am no different from anybody
I am the girl who picked up the pebbles
When it was raining at the ocean’s edge
I pieced the mirrors together
Till there were no cracks
I bought new mirrors
When I couldn’t use the old
I sang with the mermaids
As they crumbled the cookies
I swam into the ocean
And floated to the moon
I did not read my fortune

I did not need to
I blew the conch shell
To my life

(Triton is a sea god, a mollusc with a shell, and a nucleus of a tritium atom)

No comments:

Post a Comment